Summer Research Projects
Launch of the 2017 DDS & DH Undergraduate Summer Research Program
The School of Dentistry at the University of Alberta is preparing to provide its DDS and DH undergraduate students the current list of summer research projects available for the summer of 2017.
Goal: The goal of the Summer Research Program is to provide the opportunity for students enrolled in a DDS and DH program at the School of Dentistry to partake in scholarship activities with faculty of the FoMD. This program aims to instill in students the importance of research for the professions of dentistry and dental hygiene, and to allow students to participate in the process of discovery and its application to evidence-informed decision making.
- To engage all students in the DDS and DH curriculum with an interest in scholarship, and allow them access to the scholarship conducted by faculty of the School of Dentistry.
- To establish a mentoring relationship between students and faculty to enhance the student experience in education and scholarship.
- To provide students the opportunity to conduct a well-defined project with stated goals and objectives, which employ scientific methodology and which results in the production of new knowledge.
- To promote student/faculty interactions and the culture of scholarship at the School of Dentistry through student presentations of their research project at Discover Dental Sciences Seminar Series.
- To increase the matriculation of participating students to research-oriented graduate programs or residencies in dental or scientific specialties.
- To enhance the visibility of the research and scholarship conducted at the School of Dentistry through student presentations at national and international meetings, through the publication of student research in peer-reviewed journals, and through the enhancement of student competitiveness for local, national, and international awards in research and scholarship.